Diet Coke and Mentos
Check out the video of our class’s experiment!
Statement of the Problem:
How does the number of Mentos placed into a 2-Liter bottle of Diet Coke affect the height of the stream of Diet Coke that erupts from the bottle?
If the number of Mentos is increased, then the height of the stream will also increase.
· 2-Liter of Diet Coke
· Mint Mentos
· Paper and Pencil
· Brick wall (outside) to measure height
· Mentos-Dropping Apparatus (shown in picture below)
1. Gather materials.
2. Walk outside next to a tall brick wall.
3. Open a Diet Coke bottle and place on the ground, next to the brick wall.
4. Place one Mento inside the bottle.
5. Measure and record the height of the stream by counting the number of bricks equal to the stream’s maximum height.
6. Repeat steps 3 through 6 seven more times, but increase the number of Mentos use by one each time.
Number of Mentos (x-axis) vs. Height of Stream (in Bricks) (y-axis)
Our hypothesis is incorrect because our data shows that as we increase the number of Mentos, the height of the stream does not always increase.
Sources of Error:
1) All of the bottles of Coke were supposed to be unshaken. As we saw firsthand, some were shaken right before use. This may have had an impact on the stream height.
2) We had a couple of misfires because of the moisture in the tube we used to insert the Mentos. For example, if we loaded 4 Mentos into the tube, only 1 or 2 successfully dropped in when we pulled the pin. This led us to measure a couple trials that were much lower than expected. Those were removed from the graph. To solve this problem, Mr. Guertin manually pushed all of the Mentos from the tube into the Diet Coke using a pencil. This, however, was not fool-proof.
3) One of our trials used Caffeine Free Diet Coke. Because this soda contains different ingredients, this introduces a variable that we were not prepared to test. This may have had an increased or decreased effect on the stream – or possibly no effect at all.
4) Some Diet Cokes were cold at the time of use. This may have an effect on the stream. If it did, it was probably marginal.
First famous Diet Coke and Mentos video HERE by Eepybirds!